Sunday, July 1, 2007

Missing Dave Utterback

This blog is newly created for those of us who knew David Utterback of Portal, Az. An amazing wildlife artist, brilliant thinker, vulnerable person, and a person who, once known, never leaves your conciousness. Dave recently left the world, a decision he made, which left a lot of people stunned and deeply saddened. I hadn't seen Dave in years, since he lived in Niskayuna, NY, but I'm not sure I've been so affected by a death as I have by his. I've always kept up with where he was & what he was doing through Kelly Hart Salamone. As Kelly said to me, "the world is a less interesting place without Dave in it." and that thought has stuck with me. It's so true. Over time, I hope others will write their thoughts and memories here. Since those of us who knew him are so separated by distance perhaps some of us can get some measure of comfort from this blog and please, let's not let great memories of Dave go with him.

3 comments:

Jamison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Had the opportunity to retrace a trip to Maine, this past month, that David and I made years ago. I saw him in the butterfly's and darning needles, (which he taught me)and recalled our camping under the Balsam Firs and huge White Pines. He pops into my brain daily sometimes with a sharp witticim other times with a gentler comment. It is the "Ranger's" (college nickname) teachings that led me to becoming a naturalist. My heart goes out to others who also miss him. Jen

Anonymous said...

I just recently learned about Dave's death and was shocked and saddened. I had a birding/nature store in New Mexico and carried Dave's incredible work. It was an honor to do so and not one day went by that I didn't stand before one of his drawings and marvel at it. I loved the surprise and disbelief my customers would exhibit when I told them that the work was not a photograph, but a drawing. Your entry about him is wonderful.